The bakery operated until the end of the 1960s as a unit of the Metropolitan Baking Company following the nationalisation in 1949. The emergence of bread factories at the beginning of the 1970s made the operation of several small bakeries redundant. In 1979-80 on the occasion of the International Year of the Children, the building was modified and became the László Tőke Pioneer House, and later, after the end of the movement, the Wekerle Children’s House. Today, the building is home to the Wekerle Community Centre and Library, which is one of the most popular meeting venues of the Wekerle community. The programmes offered by the community centre include art exhibitions, clothes exchanges, movie projections, summer camps and “green” programmes. The building was restored by the local authority in 2011 and in the same year the bird garden was also created.