9. stop

On the left, the building of the former mounted police may be seen. The plot was originally planned for tram garages, but because the plans for the public transport access line were not carried out, the plans for creating the tram lines were also abandoned. The building for the mounted police, with a stable in its courtyard, was completed in 1912 at the same time with the police station. The once decorated gates and facade elements of its arched entrance (which was blocked up with time) suggest that this building was also designed by Lajos Schodits and Béla Éberling.  After 1948 it operated as a detention camp for a few years, and starting in the 70s the offices of the real estate administration company operated here. Probably this is the only building in Wekerle that lost most of its original characteristics, continuing the walk; you can discover a part of Wekerle, which has undergone several exemplary renovations during the last years.

Protecting shuttered windows

During the renovation works carried out in the last years, windows and doors of a different material and shape have been used, which are not in line with the uniform architectural style of the estate. For this reason, the Community Association with the help of a 2010 tender financed by a Norwegian civil fund started the “Eye of the house” programme related to doors and other closing systems. In order to preserve the uniform image of the protected buildings of Wekerle and to respond to the population’s quest for modernisation, local architects developed a plan for modern doors and other closing systems.

The designs of the windows and doors with the original layout were created with the observance of special local regulations and with the participation of the competent authorities and building conservation specialists; building engineering physics, energy, environmental and quality requirements, as well as modern technical requirements were also met. With this programme, the Community Association aims to raise awareness with respect to the importance of preserving architectural values.